Lloyds Metals and Energy Limited. (LMEL) is a unit of Lloyds Group which is in the manufacturing of Sponge Iron had initially set up its first 500 TPD (Tonnes per day) kiln with the rated capacity of 1,50,000 TPA by opting OSIL-Technology in the year 1994-95 at the village-Ghugus, District-Chandrapur (Maharashtra).
Later, the unit was expanded by installing 4 x 100 TPD kilns (with Lurgi technology) in the year 2006 and achieved its production capacity of 2,70,000 TPA (Tonnes per annum). It has now become one of the biggest Sponge Iron manufacturers in Vidarbha region of Maharashtra.
The major raw materials required for production of Sponge Iron by using Rotary Kiln Process are sized iron ore and Non-coking coal. Dolomite / limestone in small quantities is also required as de-sulphurizing agent to control sulphur in the sponge iron. The details of required specification given below:
I- IRON ORE
The Technical Specifications of Iron Ore (Hematite)
|Oversize||< 5 % max|
|Undersize||< 5% max|
|Tumbler Index||- + 90|
|Silica||< 3% Contamination - < 5%|
|Si O2 + Al2O3||5%|
II- IRON ORE (PELLETS)
The Technical Specifications of Iron Ore (Pellets)
|Size||5- 18 mm|
(-5mm and +18mm=5.00%Max each)
|Fe(T):||63.5 Min (+/-0.5%)|
|SiO2 :||4.5%Max,Al2O3: 3% Max,Guage 7.00%max|
|CCS:||220(+/-20) Phos: 0.05 (Max)|
|Porosity :||25% Min,|
|Moisture||: Dry season 1% Max & Rainy season 2% max|
The Technical Specifications of Imported Coal (RB2)
|SULPHUR ARB||0.8% TO 1%|
The Technical Specifications of Local Coal (WCL)
|GRADE||% FC min||GCV Kcal/kg|
The Technical Specifications of Dolomite
|Cao%||30 ± 5|
|Mgo%||18 ± 2|
The Major equipments installed are
- Rotary Kilns
- Rotary Cooler
- Off gas handling system
- Raw material handling system
- Water Distribution system
- Air distribution system
- Pollution control equipments
- Air Distribution system
- Piping for air and water system
The Technical Specifications of Sponge Iron
- Fe (metallic) = 82% avg.
- Carbon = 0.15% to 0.25% (0.2% avg.)
- Sulphur = 0.04% to 0.06% ( 0.055% avg.)
- Phosphorus = 0.035% to 0.050% .
- Gangue = 5.0 % avg.
- + 20mm = 5% max.
- -18mm to + 3mm = 70 % avg.
- -3mm = 25% max.
- Bulk Density: 1.80 T/ Cu.Meter
Advantages of DRI Plant
- It allows steelmaking to dilute metallic residuals in scrap
- Since it is manufactured it has a uniform composition
- It has a uniform size
- DRI has low Sulphur and Phosphorus content as compared to scrap
- DRI product has enormous potential and will be in demand subject to scrap deficit and the need to produce ultra-high purity grades.
- DRI is produced in countries with cheap gas and iron ore raw materials